ANAHEIM, CA—Just one year after opening its doors, Cycle Group, Inc., the parent company of BOX Components and Promax USA, has stepped into the sponsorship ring big time. As of January 1, the company will sponsor nearly a dozen amateur and pro factory teams and about the same number of current and future Elite and Olympic-level racers.
Among the teams CGI will sponsor with BOX and/or Promax components are the USA BMX National Number 1 Factory Team, Haro/Promax; DK Bicycles; the Dutch National BMX Team; the USA BMX National Number 1 Shop Team, J&R Bicycles; Team Stay Strong, SE Racing; Factory Staats; Factory Profile; Factory GHP/Quick Signs; ONE Bicycles and, of course, the BOX Factory Team.
Elite and future Elite riders who will likely be seen winning on BOX and Promax components in 2013 include Marc Willers; Barry Nobles; Tommy Zula; Dylan Cooley; USA BMX National Number 1 Amateur, Rusty Nesvig; Olympic Bronze Medalist, Laura Smulders; Jelle van Gorkom; Ryamon van der Biezen; Twan van Gent; Merle van Benthem; Ryan Pettigrew; Cory Reid; Kurt Pickard, Darryn Goodwin, Alfredo Campo and Damien Godet.
“We believe strongly in giving back to the sport and supporting those who make BMX what it is. Even though we’ve only just started selling BOX and Promax parts and, frankly have nothing to show for more than a year of heavy investment in R&D and production, we think it’s necessary to also invest heavily in race sponsorship as a way to build the sport as well as the BOX and Promax brands,” said Toby Henderson, CGI’s founder.
“We’ve been fortunate that so many of the world’s fastest racers have come to us, asking to use our products. After following our progress on FaceBook, many of them saw the BOX and Promax lines for the first time at Interbike in September. More than a few told us how impressed they were with the quality and the designs. They recognize that we are serious about developing the best components in the world and they want to be part of that,” Henderson added.
Starting in January, Marc Willers will head a line-up of top Elite and amateur racers who will ride on a full compliment of BOX and Promax components. ©2012 Fiodan Action Sports Group . Next season, Willers and the BOX Factory Team, DK Bicycles and the Dutch National Team will race with a full compliment of BOX Components, including BOX carbon fiber X-Series forks, Delta stems, Maximus bars, Vector cranks and Hollow hubs. The Vector cranks and 20-Mil Hollow hubs require special frames, which will be custom built and supplied by DK for Willers and the DK Crew and Meybo for the Dutch riders. J&R Bicycles will race with most BOX Components, but will use Promax HF-2 hollow-forged cranks to fit the stock Speedco frames they will ride.
The Netherlands has arguably the strongest national BMX program in the world. Starting in 2103, the team will ride BOX and Promax components. The sponsorship deal goes through 2016.
Haro/Promax will ride with a full compliment of Promax components with various BOX parts, such as Focus rims and Triple Taper handlebars, where none are available from Promax. The remainder of the teams predominantly will use Promax parts, such as P-1 brakes and Click levers, HF-2 cranks and Impact and Banger stems.
• BOX/Full BOX with Promax headsets and stem locks
• DK Bicycles/Full BOX with Promax headsets and stem locks
• Dutch National BMX Team/Full BOX with Promax headsets and stem locks
• Haro/Promax/Full Promax with some BOX
• J&R Bicycles/BOX with some Promax
• Stay Strong/BOX Vector Cranks, BOX Genius brake levers, Promax P-1 brakes, BOX X-Ray brake shoes, BOX Concentric cables, BOX Phase 1 number plates
• Staats/Promax cranks, BBs, brakes, BOX number plates
• Factory GHP/Quick Signs/Promax P-1 brakes
• SE Racing/Promax P-1 brakes
• Factory Profile/Promax P-1 brakes and Click brake levers or BOX Eclipse brakes and Genius brake levers
• ONE Bicycles/Promax P-1 brakes and Click brake levers and BOX Phase 1 number plates
• Kurt Pickard/Full BOX with Promax headsets and stem locks
• Damien Godet/BOX Carbon X-Series forks, Promax HF-2 cranks, BOX Hollow hubs